Tuesday, March 21, 2006

If I Were President Bush

There are moments, and there will be MOMENTS. Not many find the difference, very few spot the current. I believe that George W Bush has a date with history, and he can still make a new deal with HISTORY - the author of all things! If I were President Bush, I will take a personal retreat for self-assessment and legacy-assurance. When I return, it will be new business and never business as usual. Here is why.....

1. The United States of America, US, is too integral and important to our world for it to be taking the kind of bashing it currently endures. It hurts all.

2. There is nothing any country can do successfully alone today in world trade, drugs war, global terrorism, diplomacy and national security. That is why Russia, a cold war foe of the West, is a strategic partner in the international space center, and today chairing the G8. That is why the US embraces Pakistan as an ally despite being essentially a military regime. And that is why Western leaders and world class businesses have embraced China despite being a communist state.

3. The so-called clash of civilisations is seen largely as a war between America and Arabs, such that protests over the "Danish Newspaper Cartoon" saga were usually incomplete without roping in US interests!

4. In this new millenniun, cooperation and collaboration must be the bedrock of our world, to make it the true Global Village.

5. It seems clear that many of those bashing the US are not anti-America as they are anti-Bush Administration. Polls after polls point to this common sentiment.

6. Iraq is not going well at all. And it resonates around the globe as it does in mainstream America. The 3rd anniversary worldwide protests/demonstrations last week speak to this fact. And I suspect that many Americans would be pretty uneasy when the president said, a few days ago, that future US presidents and Iraqi governments will decide the fate of American troops' tenure in the troubled country. They would be there for years, Mr Bush declared! Well, that will hurt, all round.

Now, if I were President Bush, I will make surprise my magic wand. Fresh from my retreat, I will launch a Telephony Offensive. See who I will be calling, charming and challenging....

a. A G4 Meeting of US, EU, China and India to sweeten the sour trade grapes in their relations.

b. A special summit of the UN Security Council and Arab Leaders to deploy Moslem Troops to Iraq, and withdraw current coalition forces - with substantial US Funding - in 12 months.

c. Personal invitations to the leaders of Cuba, North Korea, Iran and Syria for well-packaged and publicised state reciprocal visits. President Nixon did it with China, and President Reagan with the USSR. The world is better for both.

d. Immediate embrace of the Kyoto Agreement, with fast-track US leadership.

e. Personal dialogue with disagreeing South American Leaders.

After the calls, and while the world is catching its breath, I will disband Gitmo and get my staff to draw up a water-tight Work Schedule for my new offensive. Then, we shall commence the congress rounds.

If I were President George W Bush, you wouldn't have me for Polls Meal any longer!

No comments: