Tuesday, September 19, 2006

If I Were World Leaders at UN General Assembly 2006

There is no better moment or platform for world leaders to show leadership than this year's United Nations General Assembly (GA). Their job is cut out for them: World Peace and Ending Poverty. The absence of these is tearing the world apart. It is their lot to sort things out, today.

To achieve these goals, we must stop all crises, conflicts and wars - wherever they may be - and put more resources into welfare, new jobs, better technologies and shared prosperity.

The world is one Global Village now, and world leaders must stop deluding themselves about both this reality and its imperative for mutuality in all its ramifications. That old song about national security, exclusivity-in-sovereignty, zero-game trade and the impunity of power can no longer sell. Multilateralism is it.

And that is what the UN is about, isn't it?

So, why would world leaders not seize the moment...and give us real stuff? Why should we be left wondering why they bother to come to the GA ritualistically, if all we hear are same of the same - with nothing new, nothing profound, nothing uplifting? We must say, "no more!".

If I were these world leaders, I will pursue things and thoughts that will truly develop the world and edify our common humanity. I will be fresh, ambitious, inspiring and ....concrete.

If I were a member of this powerful, but so far unaccountable club, I will openly and proudly challenge my colleagues to ACT in the world's interest NOW. I will stand to be counted on the side of justice, truth, and...honour.

GA 2006 will be my podium, and my pact, with the peoples of the world. Yes, of our common heritage; and, yes, our only Global Village!

1 comment:

Bonda said...

It is interesting to see you wishing you were in these leaders position to make decisions to benefit the majority in your society. Most leaders of today are only interested in making decisions that benefit their friends who are in the minority groups. Great work. I see you are very current with your information and have given me a wealth of knowledge. I enjoy your writing.