Saturday, July 22, 2006

If I Were Minister Fani-Kayode

Nigeria goes to the polls in 2007. A new government takes over on 29 May. Commonsense suggests that this is house-keeping time for our political leaders at all levels. That means president, governors, LG chairmen and our legislatures.

If I were the new minister of culture and tourism, youthful Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, I will give verve and soul to the Culture Aspect of my portfolio, in the few months I have to serve.

Reason? Hey, let's be fair: How many tourists will troop to Nigeria now? Where are the real tourist attractions, ready for business, in the midst of all the handicaps and dilapidations? Who is going to turn tourism around in SIX MONTHS - about the active span of his tenure, before the election fever grips us all?!

But he can do things in the area of culture because that is about US - who we are, what we are, and how we are.

If I were the new minister, I will spend every light of the next nine months giving my country's culture the shine.

Goodluck, brother!

No comments: