Monday, May 01, 2006

If I Were President Obasanjo (3)

Do I wish to be in Olusegun Obasanjo's shoes? Well, no! Okay, let's define things. As a man, a truly endowed and privileged person, I think many people wish they were so blessed. I do. As the president of Nigeria, this same nation of 150 million souls, I also wish I were Olusegun Obasanjo. Now, let's define that bit. As president in 1999? Sure. 2003? With these kinds of elections? Well, by the ultimate grace of the final court clearance, maybe. Status quo? Yes. In 2006? This moment? Hell, NO!!!

So, if I were President Obasanjo, I will stop that Chief Campaigner for Third Term, Col Ahmadu Ali, this moment. Yes, the Chairman of the People's Democratic Party. Oh, you note the irony? So do I. Indeed!

Chief Reason? The Nigerian Labour Congress has finally spoken. On MAY DAY.

Verdict? NO, capital NO, to constitutional or electoral FRAUD.

Call it Third Term, name it Tenure Elongation, tag it Of General Application. Whatever.

If you came in 1999, you leave by 2007. Period.

If I were Olusegun Obasanjo, I will not build any castle-in-the-air. An anti-corruption crusader cannot be, must not be, associated with double-speak, clever crooks, dagger-cloaks, dragon-spit, and God-in-vain schemes. An African elder knows the rites, upholds all rights, and would rather die than not act right! Elder statesmen, especially world figures, earn their rare rights by damning all wrongs...in their strides. Known stripes.

If I were the president, I will act RIGHT.

No comments: